Rubio Monocoat Application
Preparation is key for the best finish possible.
In order for Rubio products to work to their best capacity, the following preparation should be done before you apply any oil to the floor:
- Sanding: The surface needs to be evenly sanded according to the NWFA guidelines. It is recommended to use a 120 grit abrasive pad, but not to exceed 150-180 depending on your wood.
- Dust Removal: Because of Rubio Monocoat’s Molecular Binding Technology, it is imperative that all dust is removed before the application of the oil, otherwise the oil will bond with the dust instead of the wood. Once the surface has been thoroughly vacuumed, use a lightly damped cloth with Rubio Monocoat Cleaner. This is a raw wood cleaner that will electrostatically absort the dust. Allow the wood to dry up to 1 hour before applying oil. Rubio Monocoat Cleaner will not pop the grain.
- NOTE: There is a high probability of failure if Cleaner is not used.
Customize Your Finish
While pre-treatment is not necessary, this step is used prior to oil treatments to add a creative, personalized effect to your floor – all without any hazardous or irritating vapors being released.
- Fumed: Rubio Monocoat Fumed was developed to create a ‘greying’ effect to Oak or other tannic-acid woods. This product can be diluted with water to lighten the effects of the reactive technology.
- Smoke: Rubio Monocoat Smoke greats a ‘smokey’ effect on Oak or other tannic-accid woods. This product can be diluted with water to lighten the effects of the reactive technology.
- Drying + Resanding: Fumed and Smoke should be dried completely (12 to 48 hours) before further treatment of the wood continues. The wood should then be lightly sanded again with a beige pad, and cleaned of any dust.
Complete the Look
Rubio Monocoat Oil Plus 2C offers superior protection and amazing colors in one single layer. The revolutionary molecular bonding technology adheres oil to wood within 3-5 minutes due to the combination of oil and accelerator sold together with 0% VOC.
- Apply: After preparation and any desired reactive pre-treatment of your floors, begin by applying Rubio Monocoat Oil Plus 2C using an application pad or lint-free cotton cloth. Start with the edges and continue in the lengthwise direction of the floor, working in approximately 50-100 sf sections. Use a red or white pad to spread the oil.
- Settle: Oil should be allowed to settle for 3-5 minutes so that the molecular bond can be established between the oil and the wood.
- Remove Excess Oil: After settling, remove any excess oil with a new white pad. You can never remove too much oil. Thoroughly remove/buff off the excess oil by placing a towel or rag under the white buffer pad. Maximum application time per area (applying, settling and removing) should be no longer then 10-15 minutes.
- Repeat: Continue working across your floor in areas of 50-100 sf repeating the above instructions. The surface is ready for gentle use after 24 hours and full use after 7 days. Rubio Monocoat will not produce lap lines from working in sections.
Preserve Your Floors
Regular cleaning of your cured floors is the best way to keep them looking their finest.
- Sweep, dust or dry mop
- Damp mop the floors with water or ready-to-use Rubio Monocoat Surface Care Spray.
- DO NOT use any other cleaners as most of these will damage your floors.
Restore Your Floors
Rubio Monocoat Refresh ECO is a ready-to-use spray that refreshes and restores wooden surfaces that have been treated with oil.
Universal Maintenance Oil
Rubio Monocoat’s Universal Maintenance Oil is a product to enhance the sheen of wood that has been treated with Rubio Monocoat or for treatment of non-Rubio oiled floors. Universal Maintenance Oil offers zero VOC maintenance for your floors, in an easy application with a quick dry time. With 5 colors that can be blended to compliment your existing flooring finish, application of Universal Maintenance Oil offers easier care of your non-Rubio oiled floors in the future with continued use of Rubio Maintenance + Care products after its been applied.
Got stains? Rubio Monocoat’s Tannin Remover is a ready-to-use spray for removing stains and spots on wood that have been caused by a reaction to acid and water. This product can be used on untreated, oiled and waxed surfaces that have come into contact with moisture or metal.
Rubio Monocoat Products
Frequently Asked Questions
Rubio Monocoat is an all natural oiled flooring finish consisting of engineered waxes and linseed oil. Most notable is that Rubio is non-toxic and completely free of VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds), which can cause ill health effects from long term exposure (even in trace amounts).
Rubio not only holds up to wear and abrasions with impressive durability, but when light to moderate scratches do appear, it’s as easy as a doing quick touch up to hide them. And, only the exposed wood from the scratch will absorb the new oil, so you don’t have to worry about a simple touch-up looking blotchy. Simply dab the scratch and wipe away the excess.
Rubio is a durable finish and should look new for several years. However, like all flooring finishes, it may need light maintenance after a period of years. The good thing about Rubio is it’s relatively quick and painless. If you do have any areas with a little extra wear, just go over it with another coat and you’re looking like new.
With over 40 colors available, you should be able to find the perfect color for your flooring. If for whatever reason you can’t, you can actually mix the colors so the color pallet is highly variable.
In need of a personalized look for your project?
The RMC Precolor series allows you to create unique color effects. These pre-colors are designed to be used in combination with oil and may also be coated with lacquer finishes. All colors within the RMC Precolor Easy series can be mixed and diluted with water, which allows you to produce almost any finish color desired.
Yes, but if you want to apply Rubio to your already-finished floor, you do have to sand it down to the raw wood first.
Rubio takes 5 days to cure with the accelerator component (included).